Delight Springs

Friday, June 25, 2021

"Success"

The speed of my recovery so far is apparently above-average, although I did have to pop a power-pill this morning at 4. 

I'm reminded that there will be good days and not-so-good, on the way back to full ambulatory freedom. And apparently it'll be longer still 'til I can resume pedaling. Articles like this one in the Times ("Not All Cyclists Wear Lycra") make me itch, literally, to get my Raleigh back on the open road. Patience has never been my prime virtue. One more thing to work on.

The impending July Baseball in Literature and Culture conference is my biggest external motivator right now. I've been given tentative permission to fly to Ottawa (KS) for that, if my convalescence continues apace. I'm eager to go and talk about Dostoevsky's Brothers Karamazov and (David James) Duncan's Brothers K, about pain and suffering and deliverance therefrom. 

And to that end, I've hunted up the Times's original review from twenty-nine years ago. 

THE 19th-century Russian novel has been born again in "The Brothers K," David James Duncan's wildly excessive, flamboyantly sentimental, tear-jerking, thigh-slapping homage to Dostoyevsky and Tolstoy -- and the game of baseball... 
David James Duncan had been working on his second novel for two years when he happened to reread "The Brothers Karamazov." "I found there were a lot of parallels... A 'K' is a strikeout, which is a personal failure. I love the fact that a man who is considered a success in baseball has a 30 percent success rate -- in other words, a 70 percent failure rate."

I love that too, about the game of baseball and the game of life. Human success is almost never total, never remotely so -- especially not for those who give it a "squalid cash interpretation" and reduce it to a "bitch-goddess." Our triumphs should always leave us modestly humble, but still confident and cognizant that "our errors are not such awfully solemn things."

But hey Vandy Boys, let's try to have fewer of them tonight in Omaha!

No comments:

Post a Comment