Delight Springs

Thursday, October 6, 2022

Pagans and Wiccans

 This is Nashville is a terrific noontime radio program (WPLN) and podcast that's been a real addition to the civic discourse of our community. The host Khalil Ekulona is a pro's pro, as well as a former teacher. I predict he'll go far, we're lucky to have him here in our air for now.

I appreciate their regular solicitation of listener opinion ("we want to hear from you"... tweet us"), and appreciated being re-tweeted yesterday when they talked about the local bus situation.

I would love for MTA/WeGo to make one more evening run, after 6 pm, from Murfreesboro/MTSU to Nashville. I’d be on it, I’m WAY over my auto commute. There are so many reckless, inconsiderate drivers on I 24.

Thanks for listening, Bus Deciders. I really do want to join the local transit community. 

The day before, the show was all about the pagans and Wiccans of middle Tennessee. It was a good show. But I'm concerned that it will reinforce the prejudice of many mainstream Christians here against non-Christian varieties of spirituality. There wasn't an acknowledgment that pagans and Wiccans are just a couple of the myriad alternatives to the mainstream. 

So I also appreciate the fact that the show's producers asked me to elaborate. This is what I said:

Well, the show seemed to me to imply that self-avowed Wiccans and pagans are the predominant alternatives to mainstream Christianity. In fact there are many more humanists, naturalists, and secularists of other sorts who do not dabble in magic or hexes or other supernatural-sounding sorts of talk. Most “nones” and others who say they are “spiritual, not religious” have a more rationally oriented worldview. That’s my impression anyway, after teaching a course called “Atheism and Philosophy” at MTSU for many years. I did enjoy the show, and This Is Nashville is a great addition to our civic conversation. I’m just concerned that this particular installment might reinforce a certain stereotype that some have about the sorts of people who find conventional religion narrow and constraining.

So thanks for asking and listening, TIN. It's good to be seen and heard. I'll look forward to the next installment of the show that extends the conversation about alternative forms of belief and practice in our back yard. 


No comments:

Post a Comment