Delight Springs

Tuesday, September 24, 2024

Playground

Richard Powers' new novel was waiting for me in my kindle library this morning. A Kant-Rousseau moment: everything else must wait, while I read.


And here's a passage that describes my every trip to Parnassus:

"I WANDERED AROUND THE BOOKSTORE for so long looking for my prize that my father lost it. "All right, already. Pick one and be done with it." But that was the problem: How could I pick the right one when it might be any book in the entire store? Thousands of them. Tens of thousands. I started my rounds again, across Chicago's finest chain bookstore's two large floors. "Five minutes," my father said. "Then I'm picking one for you." I was in the Nature and Science section of the Young Adult books when my eyes fell on a turquoise spine with shimmering letters that read Clearly It Is Ocean. I opened the book and was dismayed. The font was smaller and denser than I liked. But the pictures of surreal sea life were incredible, and I wanted them. On the back was a picture of a skinny woman with long red hair and a diving mask pulled up over her radiant face. I had never seen an adult look so fulfilled. One glance at the author and I fell in love as only a ten-year-old can. My father scowled at my choice. "Are you sure?" I was sure. "Are you sure you're sure?" He waved his hand, taking in all the superior treasures that I was passing up. I was sure. The author in the photo was sure. All the fish in all the lakes and oceans were sure. Clearly this was the book I was meant to have."

— Playground: A Novel by Richard Powers
https://a.co/5o7xdRt

No comments:

Post a Comment