Delight Springs

Tuesday, September 15, 2026

What the university can be

Yesterday I drafted some remarks I’m scheduled to deliver at a welcome ceremony at our school for our Buchanan Fellowship scholars later this week. I mean to encourage our young charges to get out there and prepare to “renew” our world, as Hannah Arendt said they could. 

But I also want to acknowledge the controversy surrounding their scholarship’s namesake, and to raise the question of whether Nobel economist (and MTSU alum) James Buchanan’s variety of libertarianism was quite compatible with the well-being of a publicly supported institution like ours. I suspect not. 

 Our students should be grateful for his largesse, in so generously endowing their education. But they should also question the meaning of “public choice” in relation to public interest and the common good. Sometimes, the public has a vital role to play in subsidizing the education of its students. We cannot always rely on the kindness and generosity of private citizens alone. 

Nor should we understate the public-spiritedness of many of our educators, and even some of the communitarian politicians (admittedly in short supply in Tennessee) who hold their purse-strings with a reasonably (en)lightened grip. 

And so, I think I may add a paragraph or two reminding us all that a university can be so much more than just another voracious mouth at the public trough. It can be the source and sustenance of a democracy‘s most positive and rewarding addiction, the addiction to study and the civilization-sustaining growth of knowledge and wisdom. 

“A student is not a passive recipient or vehicle for knowledge. A student is not a consumer of skills or know-how but directly engaged, and engaged, of course, could mean, according to the dictionary, anything from “being entangled with” to “committing or being in bond to.” But the word that leaps out from the first definition is addicted. A student has a study habit she cannot shake. She needs to study, wants to study, cannot stop (and doesn’t want to). A student is bound up with study and studies not from calculation but because of an almost overpowering bond or commitment.” — What Could a University Be?: Revolutionary Ideas for the Future (On Campus) by Robert B. Gibbs

No comments:

Post a Comment