Delight Springs

Friday, January 12, 2024

A night at the Ryman

The creative silence of morning is sacred, as was the joyous song of GK's show last night at the Ryman. We're so impressed by the stamina of an 81-year-old who can keep us up past our bedtime with a nearly 3-hour show. And he led us in song right through the intermission. The meanderingly silly Lake Wobegon monolog concluded with a heartfelt thanks to "friends, not fans"… a joyful night out, "miserable" wooden pews notwithstanding. Thank you, GK. Substack

--Garrison Keillor replied to your comment on The art of writing, Lesson One:

I loved the whole show, especially the audience singing "It Is Well With My Soul," which I thought appropriate for an old gospel tabernacle. That crowd knew all the words. And the wooden pews makes the place so reverberant. It was odd that I forgot to put in my hearing aids and did the show without them and for some reason Heather and I sounded even better singing together. I hit some high notes I didn't know I had.

No comments:

Post a Comment