Delight Springs

Monday, January 8, 2024

Embodied connection

Taking a Cue From the Squirrels in My Birdhouse

"...To make it through the gathering disquiet, I will need embodied connection. As my wild neighbors did in the uncheery newness of an inhospitable morning, as I did myself in all the lovely places I visited on book tour, and in the company of dear friends on New Year’s Eve, I will need to seek comfort in the warmth of others this year. Whenever the cold creeps in, wherever the dark night pools, I will need to look for others. I will need not pixels but voices. Not distances but reaching hands." --Margaret Renkl 

And see, also in the Times this morning, David French...

“[Brene Brown writes]: Empathy is a choice, and it’s a vulnerable choice. Because in order to connect with you, I have to connect with something in myself that knows that feeling.”

In other words, if you’re really sharing sorrow, you’re feeling it as well, and as you feel what your friend feels, you lighten your friend’s load. Brown continues: “If I share something with you that’s very difficult, I’d rather you say, ‘I don’t even know what to say right now. I’m just so glad you told me.’ Because the truth is, rarely can a response make something better. What makes something better is connection.”

Those of us who’ve experienced that connection and love should feel an urgent necessity to extend it to others..." 


No comments:

Post a Comment