Delight Springs

Saturday, July 6, 2013

Slow & steady


Thanks to my friend Dean for reminding me of a quote I can use in Philosophy Walks:
A lie can travel halfway round the world while the truth is putting on its shoes.

Mark Twain is commonly credited with this, though it has “never been verified.” Like Yogi Berra, he probably never said half the things he said.

But no matter, the point for my purposes is: philosophy must lace its shoes with care, while careless popular opinion, dogmatic religion, and sloppy ideology race ahead. Falsehood moves faster, but philosophy wins in the long run. It gets the benefit of a good walk.
Don’t know if this one’s been verified, but Nietzsche (whose own view of truth is complicated) may have said:
“If I feel well, I will walk, sometimes for hours. I scribble as I walk and often do my best work, have my finest thoughts, while walking “

U@d 7.26.12 

No comments:

Post a Comment