Delight Springs

Saturday, March 16, 2019

The weave of time

Carlo Rovelli permits himself a lovely digression, in The Order of Time, to acknowledge the enduring presence of two past colleagues whom he calls "spiritual fathers":
Thoughts and emotions that create bonds of attachment between us have no difficulty in crossing seas and decades, sometimes even centuries, tied to thin sheets of paper or dancing between the microchips of a computer. We are part of a network that goes far beyond the few days of our lives and the few square meters that we tread. This book is also part of that weave...


"This, too, is time: a strange shifting of perspective." 

Indeed. The great conversation that is the history of the life of the mind overspills, gloriously, the banks of the river of time.

"We inhabit time as fish live in water..." Guardian extract

“This is time for us. Memory. A nostalgia. The pain of absence. But it isn't absence that causes sorrow. It is affection and love. Without affection, without love, such absences would cause us no pain. 
For this reason, even the pain caused by absence is in the end something good and even beautiful. Because it feeds on that which gives meaning to life.” 

“I am my mother’s caresses, and the serene kindness with which my father calmly guided me; I am my adolescent travels; I am what my reading has deposited in layers in my mind; I am my loves, my moments of despair, my friendships, what I’ve written, what I’ve heard; the faces engraved on my memory. I am, above all, the one who a minute ago made a cup of tea for himself. The one who a moment ago typed the word “memory” into his computer. The one who just composed the sentence that I am now completing. If all this disappeared, would I still exist? I am this long, ongoing novel. My life consists of it.” 

No comments:

Post a Comment