Delight Springs

Monday, February 22, 2021

Hopeful for a good man

 The big thaw is happening here now, puddles of melt-water and piles of slush, dotted by shrinking patches of white, are all around. The dogs finally got a decent walk yesterday. And I got to Zoom with Older Daughter in LA and Younger Sister in MO. That's the good news.

The sad news is that my student Don, who retired and returned to school when we began the Master of Liberal Arts program at MTSU several years ago, who has taken just about every class I offer, who rode with me to Dayton TN for the Scopes re-enactment a few summers ago, who is an expert on the history and significance of the women's suffrage movement, and who is just a capstone project away from finishing his degree, is very ill. 

I don't pray, but I do hope. I hope he knows what an inspiration he has been, to me and to so many others, persevering through a prolonged health crisis with grace and courage and good cheer. I've seen his kindness and wisdom positively impact his peers and countless younger students. He doesn't need a formal credential to attest to all that, but I hope he gets it. 

And my hopes are more than wishes. 


No comments:

Post a Comment