Delight Springs

Tuesday, February 15, 2022

After all these years

 Well that was a lovely V/b-day, fed (Radish's falafel and Edleys' catfish and Younger Daughter's donuts-Krispy Kreme and Donut Den-and cake) and feted and collegially well-wished. My old pal in Alabama, who bought me a drink on my 21st birthday the day after his own, sent me a photo of his Medicare card. A club that'll have even us.

I was gifted with a green light, symbolizing hope and possibility. Hope mine shines steadier than Scott's and Gatsby's. "And one fine morning..."


The day began with a nice message from S "celebrating another trip around the sun, now you've caught up with me," and ended with Older Daughter's "hope you've enjoyed another rotation around the sun as much as possible during this confusing time." But of course the sun's but a morning star. Why shouldn't I enjoy going round and round it?

And as I told her, the old stoic's morning mantra helps keep the confusion at bay.

"When you arise in the morning, think of what a precious privilege it is to be alive - to breathe, to think, to enjoy, to love… Dwell on the beauty of life. Watch the stars, and see yourself running with them."

I do in fact begin each day with those very thoughts. I don't know what it exactly meant to Marcus Aurelius to run wth the stars, but to me it means being endlessly wonderstruck by the sheer scale and improbability of a cosmos that needn't have included me and those I love but nonetheless, "in our ordinariness" as Professor Dawkins effused in one of his humbler moments, did. Does.

Yesterday I thought also, inevitably, of the inexorable passage of time. Did you see Chevy Chase on Sunday Morning?

That must be why I took Oliver Burkeman with us on our dogwalk yesterday. Four Thousand Weeks aren't so many, when the bulk of them are behind you.

“The world is bursting with wonder, and yet it’s the rare productivity guru who seems to have considered the possibility that the ultimate point of all our frenetic doing might be to experience more of that wonder.”

We're never going to "master time," the feeling of "total authority" is a crutch and a delusion (as Richard Rorty also keeps saying, long after his string of days ended), so we may as well "stop erring on the side of caution." Choose "curiosity over worry." Our errors are surely not such awfully solemn things most days, after all. 

So stop worrying and enjoy your life. Breathe. Run with the stars.



1 comment:

  1. I believe more people should wake in the morning with these same thoughts. Daily life can often be overwhelming and I don't think enough people take time to just breathe and consider the potentially infinite universe. That thought in itself is overwhelming. But simply breathing is one of the greatest blessings we have in this life, and it is tragic that so many people take it for granted even though it is the most essential thing in our lives. To just breathe and look at the stars once in a while is sometimes beyond therapeutic. But it doesn't seem like anyone does this anymore.

    ReplyDelete