Delight Springs

Thursday, August 31, 2023

Bruce Feiler

 His substack post about his Saturday convocation address at MTSU, and my note about it...

For millions of families around the world, back to school is a time of enormous transition. For those just starting college, the transition is particularly momentous, as students and parents alike are separating from one another, shedding lifelong habits, and experimenting with new ones.

Last week I experienced this transition from both ends. On Monday, my wife, Linda, and I dropped our identical twin daughters off at college [see photo below]. Four days later, I was invited to give the Convocation Address at Middle Tennessee State University outside Nashville, where all 3200 incoming members of the first-year class were assigned to read my book, Life Is in the Transitions...

== 

Bruce’s convocation address at my school Saturday conveyed great advice. His book “Life is in the Transitions” borrows its title from William James (who probably borrowed the thought from Emerson, “shooting a gulf, darting to an aim” etc.)… I’ll reinforce his message with my MTSU Philosophy students today: talk to people who you don’t agree with, try to actually hear what they say before responding. Also: go to the ballet (assuming you’re not into it… if you are, go to the ballgame). And I may regret it, but I’ll also ask the 1st year students how many actually read the book. Thanks for coming to Murfreesboro, Bruce.

No comments:

Post a Comment