Delight Springs

Monday, April 22, 2024

Peter Attia’s Quest to Live Long and Prosper

Attia's point ("How to Die in Good Health") isn't longevity per se, I think, it's to feel good today and plan to feel good again tomorrow. And to know you'll be ready, whenever the time comes, to rejoin Russell's great sea of "universal life" (which really you're already doing, if you're doing it right). The point is to "live long and prosper" right now. Like Annie Savoy said, "I mean William Blake!
To see a World in a Grain of Sand
And a Heaven in a Wild Flower
Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand
And Eternity in an hour...
Attia "compares healthy aging to investing in retirement: contribute what you can, whether it’s a daily walk or an extra half hour of sleep, and the benefits may compound over time."

As we grasp that our days are limited, we seem to abdicate our need for control; we may try to close the gap between what we want and what we have. Healthy aging seems to require a shift in mind-set as much as a shift in muscle mass...
while I’m here, I want to know that I gave it my all,” he went on. “We have this one shot. Wouldn’t it be a shame if we didn’t make the most of it?”

If "the average American celebrates just one healthy birthday after the age of sixty-five," well, I'm already doing twice as well.



No comments:

Post a Comment