Delight Springs

Tuesday, August 16, 2022

Peace

Unlike Wendell, I do not live near a wood drake. My dogs stand in for them. And the peace of the distillery tour is not to be discounted. Whatever works.


The Peace of Wild Things

When despair for the world grows in me
and I wake in the night at the least sound
in fear of what my life and my children’s lives may be,
I go and lie down where the wood drake
rests in his beauty on the water, and the great heron feeds.
I come into the peace of wild things
who do not tax their lives with forethought
of grief. I come into the presence of still water.
And I feel above me the day-blind stars
waiting with their light. For a time
I rest in the grace of the world, and am free.
Wendell Berry
==

LISTEN: Daily Bread (W/Michael Toms, 1985)...  Natural Gifts (W/Michael Toms, 1992)... Farmer, ecologist, and writer Berry provides some rich and fertile ground for recreating life and culture. He speaks of enduring values, the wholeness of life and the interdependence of all creatures, especially humankind. Berry's self-discipline, ethical sense and human compassion come through as he leads us from the microcosm of his Kentucky hill farm to the macrocosm of a sane and reasoned planetary vision based on personal integrity, faithfulness, and love... Using words like “affection” and “satisfaction,” “care” and “joy,” Berry calls for a re-evaluation of the basic values and practices of our lives. He illustrates his ideas with glimpses of his own life and those of his Kentucky farm neighbors, and describes a future where we can learn to find love, wisdom and meaning in the people, the places and the work of our own daily lives. “Abstractions don't work-abstractions are abstractions,” he says. “You have to realize that finally you must do something.”

No comments:

Post a Comment