Delight Springs

Monday, August 29, 2022

What I like

 Busy week ahead. Aside from the usual crowded docket on class days I'm delivering an Honors Lecture tomorrow afternoon--first of the season--on Aristotle, friendship, and happiness. Then a special trip in to campus Wednesday to honor the unexpectedly-departing longtime voice of MTSU News, Gina Logue. Then on Thursday, a fifth class at 6 pm: I go first in the MALA team-taught class on Experience. We'll talk Varieties of Religious Experience this week, followed next by Varieties of Scientific Experience. I like it that two of my favorite thinkers gave Gifford Lectures 80+ years apart.

Looking forward to it all. As Younger Daughter used to say, "I like too much."

I like that Older Daughter called over the weekend with news that she had a League of Their Own signed ball for me, and that she thanked me for introducing her to the game in the back yard all those years ago.

When I asked Alexa (I address her as "Computer," Star Trek style) to turn on BBC 4 yesterday I was delighted to hear a program with a live studio audience exuberantly applauding the enthusiastic host's commentary on Lucretius and Epicurus. That was too much enthusiasm, some would say, for a pair of long-dead old philosophers. I liked it.

I liked the way the Cards won their series with the Braves last night, and the way they wired Adam Wainwright to talk through his warm-up routine.

I like Margaret Renkl's column this morning on the persistence of desire in humans, long past the time when it is pro-creatively useful. (I love that she quoted Roger Angell on that.) I just observe that human desire is often sublimated in small, ordinary things like radio programs and ballgames. I like that we can do that. 

The point, I think, is that liking what we like is life-giving. Like the Stones said, it's only rock-&-roll but I like it.

And the point is, I like ordinary days.

4 comments:

  1. So glad you're going first...and your 2 weeks sound quite interesting!!! I look forward to one day reading how you've added "Montaigne In Barn Boots" to one of your classes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Also, life would totally suck if we didn't find all kinds of things we like about it!

      Delete
    2. Montaigne would have liked the Barn Boots book, in general philosophers need to get out of their offices more.

      That's a nice gloss on the thesis of "William James's 'Springs of Delight'..." The message: try not to suck.

      Delete
  2. I've also observed as I grow older that "its only rock & roll but I like it" is becoming increasingly true. Life is the meaning you give to it, without your perspective, it's clear that nothing holds ANY meaning. Knowing what you like for me is a sign of intelligence, the by-product of knowing what you enjoy is avoiding what you do not enjoy. This is not just fulfilling for me but also problem solving. A lot unique problems are met when doing things you don't know, and if they all show you what you do and don't like, then how is the meaning we assign to our existence not the search for what is fulfilling? There are no immediate threats in our lives like early humans, so the reason we exist and what we believe is why we exist is sure to have changed.
    I like the things that I think are cool, I like extreme positivity and optimism, thats undeniably life giving. But, I believe our decisions are a combination of an unlimited amount of factors, and gratitude and comparison can control our feelings about things. So, I have found it important to know what meaning you are giving to life, the fatal flaw of the evolution of our advanced brains is that there is always a perspective or factor that you haven't accounted for. For me, being shamelessly grateful for the things you do enjoy can stop you from unnecessarily comparing things and killing your joy; perhaps switching the meaning you gave to life. I also enjoy ordinary days; however, ordinary days for me may only be so enjoyable because there is nothing out of the ordinary happening. That room to think can be powerful as most of us don't realize how productive we can be without a breather.

    ReplyDelete