Delight Springs

Thursday, October 10, 2013

Lights on

I love tweaking sports fans, in our sports-besotted culture. In October, though, I'm always prepared to make an exception of myself. 

Day before yesterday I wore my Dodgers hat all day, to annoy Atlanta fans mostly. It worked, the Braves will sit out the rest of October again.


Yesterday I wore my old battered Cardinals hat, half expecting to swap it today for the Pirates Spring Training cap I picked up in Bradenton several Marches ago. Oh me of little faith!

I especially love tweaking footballers, of course, for more serious reasons.  That Frontline report the other night is fresh fodder. But as Michael Palin tells John Cleese: I don't want to argue about that right now. I shall speak no more of concussive and sub-concussive brain injuries, steroids, unhealthily obsessive sports mania, government shutdowns, or other unpleasantries until the last World Series out is recorded near Halloween. The Church of Baseball is in session, and I'm ten years old again.

Today's final CoPhi group report should reinforce my regression, they're talking Potter. I'll again quote Older Daughter quoting Dumbledore:  "Happiness can be found, even in the darkest of times, if one remembers to turn on the light." Simple magic. Wise wizard. 

Same message applies in HAP 101, where TED's on tap.  With Fall Break just around the corner, it should be a very happy Happy Hour this afternoon.

"I myself firmly believe in moral holidays," the great dispensation of any religion worth its salt. The view from the pews, here in my row at the Church of Baseball, is sweet. No evil sighted this morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment