First name to come to mind, for me, was Stewart Udall (1920-2010). His "letter to my grandchildren"* is a priceless model of the kind of wisdom only years can bring. He did a moving interview with Bob Edwards not long before his death. Quite a legacy, indeed.
*"Go well, do well, my children! Support all endeavors that promise a better life for the inhabitants of our planet. Cherish sunsets, wild creations, and wild places. Have a love affair with the wonder and beauty of the earth!"
Wesley Ernest Brown was born June 22, 1907 and is a U.S. District Court judge who, as of 2010, is the oldest federal judge still hearing cases. (continues)
- Always maintain a good sense of humor.
- Never be too good to start at the bottom.
- Exercise every single day, even when you don't feel like it.
- Don't spend more money than you make.
- Drink orange juice every day.