Delight Springs

Thursday, August 13, 2015

Healthy and wise

Dawn-rising doesn't work for everyone, and can in fact (says Charles Bukowski's WA poem this morning) be an impediment to awareness and wisdom. But even when I throw away the alarm clock in summer, my body clock hauls me up and out. If that doesn't make me healthy, wealthy, or wise, at least it makes me routinely reliable and (by summer standards) productive. Days when I've overslept 'til 7 tend to go off the rails - like Bukowski's life, as he cultivated the style and sensibility of "the defeated, the demented and the damned." That's one way to win a cult following, I suppose. Takes all kinds. The dissipated life's not for me.

It's Alfred Hitchcock's birthday. Note to Older Daughter:  he said “a good film is when the price of the dinner, the theatre admission, and the babysitter were worth it." He also said happiness is "a clear horizon — nothing to worry about on your plate, only things that are creative and not destructive..." That's healthy and wise, at any hour. And if you're healthy and wise, you're wealthy in the most valuable currency there is.

6 am/6:05, 62/86

No comments:

Post a Comment