Delight Springs

Tuesday, January 21, 2020

Opening Day!

Or Opening Deja-vu, all over again. Like last time, and the time before, and the time before that, but also different. [Fall 2019]

Another fresh start, a blank slate, a return to that form of life we call academia and philosophia. Call it what you will, the first day of a new semester is an always-welcome recurrence I'm happy to affirm. I say yes to the challenge of introducing the next generation to this odd but essential practice of mature reflection on behalf of our adolescent species. The break was actually a little long, in some ways, though the break from that congested commute down I-24 to the 'boro was (as always) a time-giving, anxiety-relieving happy respite.

We'll do our usual Opening Day round of introductions: Who are you? Why are you here? I always encourage students to be creatively and playfully thoughtful with their responses to those questions, and there's usually a small handful of creatively playful responses mixed in with the dull literal Joe ("Just the facts, M'am") Fridays. "I'm Bill, I'm in concrete management, I'm here for the GenEd credit..." Thanks, Bill. Anybody given any thought to who you are independent of your academic and career aspirations, why you're living this life, in this place, with these goals and intentions?

Philosophers and physicists wonder why there's something rather than nothing, a universe where there might (we suppose) have been nought at all. Beyond that, as William James said, there's a mystery as to the existence of every particular, "this very thing," in its very particularity. Today begins, again, the worthy task of getting more of my young charges to grasp and grapple with (or at least acknowledge and value) that mystery, and grow from the encounter.

Atheism and Philosophy begins again today too. In addition to the usual questions we'll ask: Do you have firm convictions regarding religion, spirituality, an afterlife, a deity...? Do you think religion and science are (or can be) compatible? What sources of meaning and purpose in life do you recognize?

So, shall we hit the ground running? And not say, like that jaded bowl of petunias, "Oh no, not again!"

Image result for hitchhikers guide whale

Or maybe I'll just talk about my dogs. 

 

 

5 comments:

  1. Hello my name is Jason Tuttle and i am a sophomore. I'm excited to see what new insights i can gain from this class and evaluate my own current ideas of how to view the world. Im very interested in quantum physics and how they try to explain the nature of reality, this is the subject field i want to study most.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! My name is Jacob Wagner and I am a freshman. I'm taking this class because I want to learn how to look at life from multiple perspectives so I can understand peoples points of view better. I enjoy playing video games like Smash Bros. and Forza, as well as playing cards. My job is being a valet driver for several different hotels in Nashville, most notably the Renaissance. I do most of my deep thinking while I am driving, which is another one of my favorite things to do. I was born and raised Catholic and attended Catholic schools K-12th grade. This has been a major component in forming my views on many aspects of life. I realize I'm not exactly a saint but I'm a firm believer in the Golden Rule, "Treat others the way you'd want to be treated." Nice to meet y'all and I'm hoping for a great semester

    ReplyDelete
  3. My name is Caleb, and I'm here because my advisor said to be.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My name is Daniel and I'm here to become successful. section 11

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello everyone!

    My name is Edwin Garcia, and I am still trying to figure out how to navigate this website. Just found out that I haven't even posted anything in this section. I am a junior and hoping to be able to figure out how this class works and this site so I don't miss anything hahaha!

    ReplyDelete