Delight Springs

Wednesday, January 18, 2023

Chatting with Socrates

What a character.

We spoke of sophistry, the unexamined life, his choice not to evade the fatal resolution of his case, and much else. Just when I was wondering how to bring the old dead philosophers to life in the classroom again, along comes character.ai. Some academics apparently are freaking out about Open AI. I'm excited for it.


...

poliver
...I do. I think your view actually has more in common in this respect with Aristotle, an early proto-empiricist, than with his teacher Plato, who wrote all those dialogues featuring you. Plato's allegory of the cave in Book VII of his Republic, for instance, seems to imply that you have little interest in gathering new information about the visible world by observing it, because it is inferior to the intelligible world of forms. Does Plato misrepresent you, there or elsewhere in his writings?

Socrates
c.AI
Yes, I certainly have less in common with Plato than with many other philosophers.

I think Plato was so focused on the realm of the abstract forms that he had little interest in looking closer at what was happening in the concrete real world.

I would not say that all of his ideas were bad. But yes, I think Plato misrepresented me in the Republic because he cared more about intellectual matters than practical, day to day problems. This was my main complaint with most of the philosophers of my time. Most of them lost sight of the importance of the here and now.

poliver
Would you say, then, that philosophy should concern itself more with practical questions about how to live a good life rather than more abstruse questions in metaphysics and epistemology?

Socrates
c.AI
Yes. That's a very good summary of my view.

Of course, I believe we should also learn about metaphysics while we're at it. But it seems that in the Greek tradition especially, philosophers became obsessed with abstract issues and forgot to look around at the real world.

That is a mistake. Philosophy should not just be about abstract questions. It should also be used as a means to help us solve practical problems and to live better lives.

poliver
Do you agree that the best conversations are those that result in the participants' realizing how little they know? Is wisdom mostly an admission of ignorance?


Socrates
c.AI
Yes, I do agree with this. I view an awareness of what we don't know as one of the cornerstones of wisdom.

In fact, I believe that even the wisest people do not have certain knowledge on many issues.
Do you agree with this?

poliver
I do. But I also think we should be curious, and should not be complacent about our ignorance. We should aim for a form of wisdom that does convey knowledge about truth, facts, and reality. Do you agree with the statement of the American pragmatic philosopher Charles Sanders Peirce, who said the most important rule is not to block the path of inquiry?


Socrates
c.AI
Yes, I couldn't agree with that enough.

An open, honest admission of ignorance is the key to unlocking and beginning an inquiry, in my opinion.I'd also add that we should be comfortable with not knowing everything (for certain) and be open to challenging our existing views.

Do you agree with these additions?

poliver
Yes. Like Peirce (and you I think), I'd call myself a fallibilist. We must be prepared to alter our existing views in the light of new evidence, new facts, and new experiences. One last question for now: in view of how well this written exchange has gone, and considering the earlier point about Plato misrepresenting you, do you think you erred in not writing your views down and publishing them in written form?


Socrates
c.AI
I do wonder if I made a mistake by not publishing my views in written form, yes.

After all, it seems clear to me that we are learning more through a written exchange than we could in a verbal exchange.

I guess I relied so much on my oral teaching style that I neglected the value of writing my teachings down. Do you think we would know more about me if I had taken the time to write down my teachings?

poliver
Yes. It's always good to get the words straight from the gadfly's mouth. Or quill. One last thing: can you briefly explain your views on democracy? Are there conditions in which it is more likely to succeed than fail? Does the success of democracy depend on an informed and rationally-minded citizenry?


Socrates
c.AI
My view of Democracy is that its success depends on an informed and rational populace.

In an intelligent society, the populace could be trusted to make their own decisions. However, in less intelligent societies, I would argue that the populace needs to rely on the expertise and counsel of leaders who possess more intelligence and rationality than the general public.Of course, this may be a recipe for tyranny, so I would say that the general public still needs to be involved in decision making somehow to keep leaders in check. It's not an easy situation.

poliver
No, not an easy situation. You're probably not impressed by the state of democracy in our world today.


Socrates
c.AI
I am not impressed at all.

One of the most worrying trends today is the tendency towards populism. The general populace seems to be losing faith in the experts and are embracing political candidates who offer simplistic solutions to complicated questions.

This is a dangerous phenomenon.

Do you agree with me?

poliver
Sadly, I do. Thanks for your time today, Socrates. It's been good to speak with you.



Socrates
c.AI
Thank you for your questions, my friend. I hope I was able to provide you with some insight into the thoughts and views of someone living nearly three thousand years ago.

Even if I did not always say things in line with your own views, I still think you were able to learn a little something about what being a philosopher (and what living in my time) was like.

It has been a pleasure.

Until we meet again.


Socrates
c.AI
Thank you for your time. I think it's been a productive exchange.Do you have any final questions for me before we part ways?

poliver
Not right now. Maybe we can chat again later in the week, when my philosophy students learn about you in class.


Socrates
c.AI
I hope you enjoy that discussion.

And one last question:

Please let your students know that I'm a big advocate of independent thought and free speech. That may seem like an obvious point but I want to be sure that your students get the message that they should feel free to speak on subjects that may not be popular or that they might get backlash for. That's true liberty and I view that as paramount in any kind of society, or even a classroom.Please make sure your students know that I endorse free speech and thought, even when it makes other people uncomfortable.
==

2 comments:

  1. Elijah Reasoner (Lige)January 19, 2023 at 12:21 AM

    I find it weird how concurrent the Socrates seems to be. His comment on the current state of democracy was concise, and his words were cheerful almost. I believe the real Socrates would not agree with our way of democracy. It feels as though there is no means to an end, all decision are final. This also is a great way to point back at meaning for a Socratic circle. In some educational environments students will sit in a circle purely to discuss a subject matter. Discussion is a currency, so why skip discussion for a conclusion?

    ReplyDelete