Delight Springs

Saturday, January 21, 2023

The experience of spirit

This morning's stoic meditation extols the benefits of a dawn ritual, and suggests daily self-interrogation.

"“Ask yourself the following first thing in the morning: What am I lacking in attaining freedom from passion? What for tranquility? What am I? A mere body, estate-holder, or reputation? None of these things. What, then? A rational being. What then is demanded of me? Meditate on your actions. How did I steer away from serenity? What did I do that was unfriendly, unsocial, or uncaring? What did I fail to do in all these things?” —EPICTETUS, DISCOURSES, 4.6.34–35

"Many successful people have a morning ritual. For some, it’s meditation. For others, it’s exercise. For many, it’s journaling..." All of the above here, if by meditation is just meant quiet reading and reflection. I'm not seeking the stoic's vaunted "freedom from passion," but I do try to regain perspective each day by recalling Marcus Aurelius's advice to remember what a precious privilege it is to breathe, think, enjoy, and love.

It really does all begin and end with the breath of life. That's why I say spirituality is entirely natural (not super-) for humans. Respiration and inspiration comprise the experience of human spirit for me. And morning is when there's a perspective-giving dawn for me. Unquestionably.

"The Daily Stoic: 366 Meditations on Wisdom, Perseverance, and the Art of Living": https://a.co/bMZ6p4K

No comments:

Post a Comment