Delight Springs

Wednesday, September 20, 2023

Minneapolis, 1969

GK’s column mentioning being at a Twins game in 1969 and seeing Rod Carew steal home exhumes this buried memory:  

In the summer of 1969 I was 12, visiting Minneapolis with my parents. Suddenly got very sick in a downtown department store, was hospitalized. The staff got the Twins to send over an 8 x 10 signed glossy of Rod’s teammate Bob Allison. I’d rather have had Rod but I was thrilled, nonetheless.

Now that I'm thinking about it, a memory comes back of laying in my hospital bed in Minneapolis listening to Top 40 Radio, In the Year 2525. I was sick, but that's a happy memory. That's what I was talking about in class yesterday, the delight of old memories unexpectedly revisited.

Funny how the mind works.

No comments:

Post a Comment