Delight Springs

Wednesday, May 1, 2024

Hoping for a sea-change

My mostly-retired philosopher pals, having (like my semi-retired minister pal) too much time on their hands, started another too-early-in-the-day text thread.

The discussion of academic presidents who are also humanities scholars led one of us to say "there won't be many Shakespeare scholars in [U.S.] presidential suites in the future..."

That led me to point out that POTUS likes to quote Seamus Heaney:

History says, don't hope
On this side of the grave.

But then, once in a lifetime
The longed-for tidal wave

Of justice can rise up,
And hope and history rhyme.

So hope for a great sea-change…

Another of us said that's pretty highbrow.

And someone said something about Ted Lasso.

So I said Heaney's not so highbrow (Joe's definitely not), his poem can be rephrased in Ted Talk:

"So I've been hearing this phrase y'all got over here that I ain't too crazy about. 'It's the hope that kills you.' Y'all know that? I disagree, you know? I think it's the lack of hope that comes and gets you. See, I believe in hope. I believe in belief."

Ted's pretty wise:
"What I can tell you is that with the exception of the wit and wisdom of Calvin and Hobbes, not much lasts forever."
But he's a highly improbable sort of coach, apart from being hired to lead a professional English football club when his only experience is High School (American) football:
"For me, success is not about the wins and losses. It's about helping these young fellas be the best versions of themselves on and off the field."

Nick Saban said that too, said my pal the 'bama fan. But of course his alums had a different notion. 


No comments:

Post a Comment