Delight Springs

Friday, June 17, 2016

Above average

"He is certainly the strangest person I know," says Roger Angell of Garrison Keillor, about to shuffle off the Prairie Home Companion stage. Fortunately he'll still be writing, and sharing poetry and history from the Almanac.

We who know him only through his radio performances and his writing don't know him at all, of course, but he's been a strangely solid and compelling presence for me ever since my old grad school friend George, the Georgian Kierkegaardian who now teaches in Keillor's backyard, told me I had to hear PHC back in the very early '80s. He was right. I've had to hear it ever since. I don't know what I'm going to do with my Saturdays between 5 and 7 pm after July 1, but I'll probably not listen to the Wobegon-less successor show. Not at first, anyway.

The man and his show, strange as they may be, have always been way above average.

5:30/5:31, 78/87/66, 8:05

No comments:

Post a Comment