Delight Springs

Monday, June 27, 2016

Feeding the right wolf

What if the future's a dead end? What if there's nothing out there among the stars, in the deepest reaches of space and time?

But what if there's everything

Good answer, young Casey Newton. That's how you feed the right wolf, the bringer of light and hope. Darkness and despair are just too easy. Live in possibility, don't give up. Don't stop thinking about tomorrow.

Yesterday was the publication anniversary of Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (1997). Young Jo Rowling must have been feeding the right wolf, to have been lightning-struck as she was by the idea for her wizard world while waiting for a late train. "I did not have a functioning pen with me,” she said. “I simply sat and thought for four hours, while all the details bubbled up in my brain, and this scrawny, black-haired, bespectacled boy who didn’t know he was a wizard became more and more real to me ... I began to write that very evening.”

Creative lightning most often strikes dreamers and optimists, doesn't it? Hope so.

5:50/5:34, 75/86/68, 8:06

No comments:

Post a Comment