Delight Springs

Friday, July 23, 2021

Humanists

LISTEN. The American Humanist Association's 80th anniversary conference is underway. 

I registered, so I'm in remote/virtual attendance. They read my question last night about the pioneering 19th century Kansas freethinker ("not an oxymoron," not thenEtta Semple, while I was out on my evening ramble. Annie Laurie Gaylor of the Freedom From Religion Foundation (FFRF) gave a thorough and instructive response.

Semple said “I never yet have seen the person who could withstand the doubt and unbelief that enter his mind when reading the Bible in a spirit of inquiry.”

The conference continues through the weekend. Dr. Fauci will be giving the keynote, as a most deserving Humanist of the Year in this year of pandemic travail.

"Are you a humanist?" Indeed I am. "Humanism is a progressive philosophy of life that, without supernaturalism, affirms our ability and responsibility to lead ethical lives of personal fulfillment that aspire to the greater good of humanity..." (Manifesto III, continues)

Humanism will be the anchoring theme of my biennial course Atheism and Philosophy next time. They're not the same thing, atheism and humanism, but there's more than enough family resemblance to merit the coupling.

Vera Rubin was a humanist, I'd guess. She deserved top honors too.

No comments:

Post a Comment