Delight Springs

Saturday, July 31, 2021

The lively air

 My six-week post-surgery checkup yielded the anticipated green light: it's safe to get back in the water. So I did, almost as soon as we got home. Ten minutes on the stationary bike first, simulating my preferred but not-yet-allowed summer routine of a (mobile) bike ride immediately preceding a dip. What a delight, to swim again and to float, and to forget that it's 90 degrees in the shade. Summer, fading fast but redeemed.

Then I opened an email from the good doctor, soliciting shareable approval. I was happy to oblige.

I’m grateful to Drs. Glattes and Crosby for the dual OLIF surgery that has restored my ability to walk without pain or discomfort… thrilled to be walking the dogs again, and swimming! Looking forward to biking again soon as well.

Then another email, from a friend reporting his own unanticipated, exceptionally timely and hopeful health news. Gratitude and good fortune love company, and deserve a celebration. Thankfully there's one on the calendar tomorrow afternoon. 

You can't remind yourself too often to keep your health, your splendid health, better than all the truths in the firmament. Or to appreciate it, when you've got it.

For as The Novelist said The Poet says

Great Nature has another thing to do

To you and me; so take the lively air...

And the water.

And walk the dogs.

1 comment:

  1. That's awesome that your recovery is coming along so well!

    ReplyDelete