Delight Springs

Wednesday, June 7, 2023

Apple Vision: adorable, oppressive, both, neither?

Younger Daughter insisted we watch this yesterday, and then sought reassurance that I'd never get one. My wife just said it felt like a glimpse into a very different future.

 

Not sure how to think about it. Intriguing, but with a definite Black Mirror dystopian "ick" dimension. Is this the human future? Or a caricature of the future's likely disdain for our infatuation with techno-self-indulgence that cuts us off from vital connection with the natural world? But will the future even distinguish nature from technology? So many questions, so many possibilities. Luddism is not advised, but neither is total capitulation to a world of constant high-tech amusement. Remember Neal Postman's warning ("people will come to love their oppression, to adore the technologies that undo their capacities to think") about amusing ourselves to death?

But I confess, if someone wanted to give me one of these things I'd definitely give it a test drive. Don't see myself walking around in the world with it, battery pack in pocket. And I don't want to see myself sitting alone in a room in my headset, blissfully oblivious to a lovely day on the other side of the window. 

Once again I return to the wisdom of the Cynic, the poor man's Socrates: solvitur ambulando. Perambulate, unencumbered by hardware (except maybe a stick), then amuse yourself a bit with the gadget. 

And then go back outside. WJ was right, wasn't he? Where we're headed is truly "the really vital question for us all..."

Let's not go here:


No comments:

Post a Comment