Delight Springs

Saturday, June 17, 2023

Be Mine, a lovely Valentine for Father’s Day

I've just submitted my first crack at a review of Richard Ford's latest Frank Bascombe novel...


It’s hard to be objective about Frank Bascombe, he’s practically family after so many great “authorizations” by his progenitor Richard Ford. But I love Be Mine. The father-son dynamic is relatable. My dad was also infatuated with Rushmore, the badlands, the Corn Palace… Borglund’s stoneface monument to patriotic kitsch was (dad told me) the first piece of “news” from the “outside” world (beyond the farm) that he found fascinating and compelling, as a boy growing up in rural Missouri in the ‘30s. Its engineering audacity fired his imagination, and I think planted a curious wonder about the wider world that he later tried to convey to me. He took me on bonding adventures there (and elsewhere) too, as Frank took his weird son Paul. I wasn’t as weird as Paul Bascombe (who ever was?) but most children must at some point seem weirdly different, if not oppositional and belligerent, to their parents. The good ones accept and even encourage their offsprings’ autonomy… right to the end. As one of Frank’s old muses Emerson (far superior in wisdom to “old Heidegger”) said, they know the futility and injustice of trying to reduplicate themselves in a son or daughter. One of each of us is enough.

But I’ve not yet had enough of Frank. I hope Richard Ford’s not through with him.

Like all of the Bascombe books, this one will stay with me. Great stories re-frame your world, they give you slightly different lenses to see it by. This one might even give me a re-purchase on Heidegger, though I still think his best insights were far better (and earlier) glimpsed by WJ. 

For instance: "Once one has glimpsed the limits of one’s existence, it snatches one back from the dream of endless possibilities we once thought were ours—comfort, idleness, taking things lightly." Yes, but James expressed the dream of possibility and the urgent constraint of actuality much more lucidly. His "cash value" far exceeds the Nazi's.

Anyway... Be Mine is a pretty valentine. Maybe Richard Ford can do us one more Frank story, set possibly around a future hypothetical (but possible) Father's Day?

No comments:

Post a Comment