Delight Springs

Wednesday, December 13, 2023

“Be more funny!”

Said Homer Simpson to his TV…
"Two days ago, a profound experience. I found a set of transcripts someone had made of monologues I did years ago on the radio and I read one. Someone had written down word for word what I said and when the audience laughed, they put in the word LAUGHTER. And guess what? I read through it and it wasn't funny. LAUGHTER. Not even slightly. LAUGHTER. I had said it and back in 1982 a theaterful of people had loved it and in 2023 it was about as funny as a pile of bricks. LAUGHTER. Have you, dear reader, ever gone back to your distinguished past and been depantsed the way I was? LAUGHTER. No, you have not. I wanted to jump out a window. LAUGHTER. Fortunately, the windows in our apartment are childproofed and I can't open them. LAUGHTER. And also it's New York and I could hear children's voices from the street and I don't want my suicide to accidentally wipe out a bunch of eight-year-olds leashed together on their way to the Museum of Natural History. LAUGHTER. That's not funny, by the way. LAUGHTER..." —Garrison Keillor.
But GK (almost) always has a delivery that invites LAUGHTER, even if the mirth doesn't translate textually. That's what Matt Groening didn't get, in that Simpsons spoof... 



No comments:

Post a Comment