Delight Springs

Tuesday, December 19, 2023

RWE's writing advice, continued

Continuing my slow-read of Richardson's First We Read, Then We Write in the pre-dawn, symbolically in much the same way an athlete preparing to take the field listens to a personally-motivating playlist...

My highlights from the  "Sentences" chapter:

  • "My debt to Plato is a certain number of sentences: the like to Aristotle [and] Milton and Shakespeare... save out the good sentences, and destroy the rest." Same here, though my debt to Plato is mostly a counter-debt: he shows me a philosophy to resist, not embrace. I always tell students I'd side with Team Aristotle, forced to choose. I don't owe much to Milton but I do agree (figuratively) that, while the right form of service to humanity is admirable, I'd generally rather reign in hell than merely serve in paradise. Well, maybe not the hell. And some of Shakespeare's sentences increasingly speak to me, especially (since I've been pondering my inevitable memorial service) Sonnet 73-“This thou perceiv’st, which makes thy love more strong, to love that well which thou must leave ere long.” I'm just finishing Shapiro's excellent Shakespeare in a Divided America. Funny how some Brits consider Yankee affection for the Bard cultural appropriation. 
  • "He only is a good writer who keeps one eye on his page and with the other sweeps over things." Don't get swallowed by the text, make it a reflection of unfolding experience and revise as you sweep.
  • "Our chief want in life is somebody who shall make us do what we can." Good teachers, friends, models. And unrelenting spouses.
The next chapter on "Emblem, Symbol, Metaphor" is about the ubiquity and inescapability of signs. RWE's big claim about that is
  • "The visible world and the relation of its parts is the dial plate of the invisible... the Universe is the externalization of the Soul." There's a lot to ponder there, and to resist: "Sacramentalism, Platonism, Neoplatonism, Hegelianism, and Christianity are all forms of idealism..." And I'm fine with the lower-case version of idealism, but the Platonic Form is trouble. RWE also said “Other world! There is no other world! Here or nowhere is the whole fact.” Agreed. That's Emersonian transcendentalism naturalized (and lower-cased), and that's the version I prefer. But I must remember what he said in Self-reliance about foolish consistency and hobgoblins, and assert my preference with circumspect humility.
  • "The people fancy they hate poetry, and they are all poets and mystics." Just look at the crowd at any NFL or SEC game. Or at the viewing audience at home.
  • "We are like persons who come out of a cave or cellar into the open air." What does he mean, we? But I do like Plato's allegory, so long as I can naturalize it too.
  • "the world of things stands for the world of ideas"... WJ said "the earth of things must resume its rights," (Pragmatism III) which I take to be the exact reverse of RWE's formulation.
  • "The creation of a work of literature [or philosophy, or autobiography] mimics the creation of the world...'Good writing and brilliant discourse are perpetual allegories... it is the blending of experience with the present action of the mind." Right. Keep just one eye on the page, again, and sweep with the other.
  • "...as William Gass has insisted, 'The forms of fiction and the aims of art support Idealism..." There's that problematic upper-case I, again. I met William Gass, the old Wash U prof, when he visited Mizzou back in my student days. Nice man. I think he's wrong about this.
  • "The world being thus put under the mind for verb and noun, the poet is he who can articulate it." The poet can try, for verb and noun. But does it follow that in the beginning of everything (not just the beginning of a poem or a book) there was only the word? It does not.
  • From Paul Scott's Raj Quartet: "There is a relation between the hours of our life and the centuries of time." Yes, it's the relation of scale and the relation of grasping our personal finitude in stark contrast to history, especially natural history. 
  • "...each life, any life, is emblematic of the whole." I take that as the daunting creative challenge: to write something that both reflects and transcends one's own personal experience. "This is no abstraction." Not if you do it right. And keep sweeping.

No comments:

Post a Comment