Delight Springs

Wednesday, December 27, 2023

Resolute meliorists

This Year, Make a Resolution About Something Bigger Than Yourself

…In "Leaves of Grass," Walt Whitman writes: "This is what you shall do: Love the earth and sun and the animals, despise riches, give alms to everyone who asks, stand up for the stupid and crazy." He continues, "Re-examine all you have been told at school or church or in any book, dismiss whatever insults your own soul, and your very flesh shall be a great poem.''

So there. If you're looking for a worthwhile resolution, Whitman is not a bad place to start.

The task of improving the world may seem impossible, but it isn't... Roger Rosenblatt


No, not impossible. But it's harder to visualize if you're conflicted like E.B. White: 

"I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve (or save) the world and a desire to enjoy (or savor) the world. This makes it hard to plan the day."

I get it. I too have a dog compulsion that distracts me from my keyboard.

So I'm looking for concrete steps that will make me a better meliorist and a better savor-er. I've been granted a bit of release time to work on a book, which I'm telling myself has some small potential to improve (not save) the world. Concrete step: close the office door when working, hang a DO NOT DISTURB SIGN, turn off the phone. 

And savor the  delight of advancing the cause of meliorism in this age of anxiety, this time so desperately deficient of confident commitment and resolve. And reliable delight.

It's a start.

No comments:

Post a Comment