Delight Springs

Wednesday, June 10, 2020

Defying demography

Scott Simon is one of the more thoughtful voices on NPR and CBS (if sometimes, to my taste, a bit too earnest and courteously formal). I've long admired his honesty and transparency, in sharing intimate details of life such as the experience of saying goodbye to his dying mother, or expressing his unvarnished joy at becoming an adoptive parent. His tweet yesterday caught my eye. 
@nprscottsimon What artist? My daughter also defies demographic expectations, has lately discovered Neil Young & CSNY (especially “Ohio”)
June 9, 2020
(The verdict is still out on Jefferson Airplane's "Volunteers of America," not to be confused with the Tennessee variety.)


Our oldest daughter is in the kitchen, born in China, reared in big cities, is in the kitchen, making tofu, listening to country music, shattering every demographic assumption made about her, and I love that, about her and life.
What artist? My daughter also defies demographic expectations, has lately discovered Neil Young & CSNY (especially “Ohio”)

No comments:

Post a Comment