Delight Springs

Thursday, June 18, 2020

Letting go, moving on

Toy Story 3 is trending in social media just because it's ten today?

Yes, kids, ten years does vanish in a flash. I guess that's just now dawning on millennials and Z's. (It's Paul McCartney's birthday, btw, the guy who worried in his 20s about being loved when he was 64. He's 78 today. So many Yesterdays.)

I'm nostalgic for Toy Story 1, myself, having viewed it with Older Daughter on VHS a few dozen times at least in her most impressionable early days. They both came out in '95.

We moved in to our place 24 years ago on Memorial Day weekend. She was a precocious toddler, soon to discover Woody and Buzz et al. Younger Daughter, technically of Gen Z, would arrive three years later.

Some nice people with two small children of their own came by to look at our place yesterday, and I found myself getting sentimental as I described to them the landscape of our yard back in the Toy Story era -- swing set over there, tree swing here where the bird-feeders now hang, wiffle-ball field just there (we called the car-port roof the Green Monster).


And so I realize that I'm not quite ready to move on, though the swing set's long gone and it's been several seasons since we whacked a wiffle-ball off the Monster. Hoping they don't make us an offer we can't refuse.

But when the time comes, whenever it comes, it'll be nice to think of a new generation of youngsters making new memories on that sacred ground, memories they can someday look back on with the same wistful fondness I'm feeling this morning.


No comments:

Post a Comment