Delight Springs

Friday, June 12, 2020

Stretching habits

I have a long-standing habit of stretching after our daily morning dogwalk, with a routine improvised decades ago from a popular book on the subject. It began mostly as an exercise in meditation and (before the word was cliche) "mindfulness," continued as a comfortable and comforting habit, and has become an indispensable form of physically-therapeutic self-maintenance I can't afford to miss.

The last couple of years I merged the stretching habit with my baseball obsession, always tuning in to the MLB highlights show while going through my routine. Then the pandemic ended the highlights, among other things, but reruns of old games in March, April, and May called by revived Hall of Fame voices (Vin, Joe, Tony, Jack...) more than managed to fill the gap.

Until it didn't.

There came a day, just days ago, when my appetite for old games suddenly wilted. Maybe it's the time of year. Or maybe it's the time of man... (see postscript below*)

The Smithsonian channel's Aerial America program was good stretching company at first, I used to tune it in a few winters back when we first got our stationary bike. I liked to pretend I was powering a pedal-driven glider like the one in Kim Stanley Robinson's cli-fi novel Pacific Edge. "Hard work; it was one of the weird glories of their time, that the highest technologies were producing artifacts that demanded more intense physical labor than ever before..."

But the pretense and the novelty of the new immobile machine eventually wore off. I learned that I prefer pedaling my non-stationary bikes through middle Tennessee's generally-mild winters (and springs, summers, and falls). And now there's talk in our household of consigning the stationary bike to my Little House, cut off from the cable umbilicus.

When Elon Musk's Dragon launched recently I found myself briefly hooked on the NASA channel, during the morning stretch. The live feed from ISS was, as documented here, calming accompaniment. But that too has acquired a measure of tedium. Round and round and round we go, but are we getting anywhere?

So now I've started catching up on the gazillion (and growing) TED Talks I missed the first time. Really liked Jill Tarter's SETI talk, and Michael Patrick Lynch on truth, facts, and reality, and Wendy Suzuki's "Brain-changing benefits of exercise"...



So what would Aristotle say about my stretching habit? Or William James? Or Charles Duhigg and James Clear? A few things...

"It makes no small difference, then, whether we form habits of one kind or of another from our very youth; it makes a very great difference, or rather all the difference." Nichomachean Ethics, Book II

"Habit is thus the enormous fly-wheel of society, its most precious conservative agent. It alone is what keeps us all within the bounds of ordinance... we must make automatic and habitual, as early as possible, as many useful actions as we can, and guard against the growing into ways that are likely to be disadvantageous to us, as we should guard against the plague." William James, Habit/Principles of Psychology I 

“Habits are powerful, but delicate. They can emerge outside our consciousness, or can be deliberately designed. They often occur without our permission, but can be reshaped by fiddling with their parts. They shape our lives far more than we realize—they are so strong, in fact, that they cause our brains to cling to them at the exclusion of all else, including common sense.” Charles Duhigg, The Power Of Habit

“The ultimate form of intrinsic motivation is when a habit becomes part of your identity. It’s one thing to say I’m the type of person who wants this. It’s something very different to say I’m the type of person who is this.”James Clear, Atomic Habits

One thing for sure: they'd all say not to miss your dogwalk on this beautiful crisp morning.

Man with two dogs | Silhouette Artist - Portrait Cuttings - UK
Solvitur Ambulando
LISTEN

* Postscript--

No comments:

Post a Comment