Delight Springs

Thursday, June 11, 2020

Scoot's legacy

In April Older Daughter had to say a far-too-soon farewell to her sidekick Scooter, who we first met late in 2016 at the Nashville Humane Shelter. He followed her to college in Illinois, then back to Tennessee (when he and I really bonded), then to California. He was a fixture, seen and heard (afflicted with chronic, constant asthmatic coughing and wheezing), in many of her YouTube film reviews and blog posts. He succumbed a few weeks ago to cancer. She wrote: "To say that Scooter was important to me is such a radical understatement. Losing him so quickly has been devastating... Scoot was with me through love, loss, three different states, five different living situations, long night, early mornings, and the shortest walks a dog will ever take. One time I had to carry him a mile back to campus because he refused to walk anymore. What an opinionated little jerk. I miss him so dearly..." He was her "true love."

I thought of him, with the greatest fondness and gratitude yesterday, when I came across this lovely reflection on what we can learn from our four-legged friends about sadness and joy, and being here now.

We need a trick to feel our joys as deeply as our griefs...


"Just when the coronavirus started to hit Los Angeles, my dog, Ori, stopped eating. I was afraid he had cancer, and I was worried I would have to have him euthanized because it would be dangerous and wrong to be driving a dog around for cancer treatments while we were trying to avoid contact to save human lives, including my mother-in-law’s..." (Eric Kaplan & Eleanor Davis, nyt continues)

No comments:

Post a Comment