Delight Springs

Tuesday, May 9, 2023

How Much Can Duolingo Teach Us?

This guy thinks bots should replace teachers. Maybe that'll work for language-learning, but surely not in general. Or is that just special-pleading? Protecting our turf?
...The company’s founder, Luis von Ahn, believes that artificial intelligence is going to make computers better teachers than humans.

“Ultimately, the reason I decided to work on teaching is because I really think that, net-net, humanity benefits more from having a really good way to teach everybody.” If this leads to fewer human teachers, that struck him as an acceptable trade-off. “I’m, like, O.K., well, a small number of people are out of a job, but suddenly we can teach everybody better. It’s not like I feel great about this, but I think it’s better to be able to teach all of humanity cheaply, right?”

Norma [his mom] told me that, after Luis left for college, she found a note on his desk on which he’d written, “I promise to help the world.”
... Carina Chocano, continues

No comments:

Post a Comment