Delight Springs

Monday, May 8, 2023

Red State Gun Reform?

"...I wish you could have seen the human chain that reached from Vanderbilt's Monroe Carell Jr. Children's Hospital, where the children killed at Covenant were taken after they were shot, to the statehouse, where Republican legislators repeatedly refused to consider any gun-reform measure. Wearing red in support of Covenant School, some 8,500 Nashvillians gathered arm-in-arm in a chain stretching three miles to make legislators see that voters are united on this issue, Republicans and Democrats alike.

People still stop me on the street to thank me for the open letter to Gov. Bill Lee that I wrote the week of the shooting. These are my friends and my neighbors, the parents whose children grew up with mine, the adults my husband taught when they were teenagers, and I know them. Many are deeply conservative. Many have never agreed with another word I've written for this newspaper. But no one, right or left, wants to keep seeing innocent people slaughtered with guns that never should have been in the hands of civilians in the first place..."

Margaret Renkl

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/05/08/opinion/tennessee-gov-lee-gun-reform.html

No comments:

Post a Comment