Delight Springs

Wednesday, January 3, 2024

Compos mentis

Here it is, the new year getting older by the moment. I find myself wanting to work, this morning, on the Honors Lecture I've just agreed to deliver in April. But there are other and more pressing deadlines to meet. So I'll just nod at this now, and then try to re-direct my attention. 

The lecture series is called Mental Health and the Good Life: Strategies for Happiness, Wholeness, Wellbeing. My contribution will be "Healthy Minds, Flourishing Lives: A Philosophical Approach to Mental Health and Happiness"... 

I do wish to disassociate myself from the series' avatar, whose name adorns the program's most coveted scholarship. His approach to economics and to governance do not, in my opinion, conduce to mental health or to general human flourishing. 
But never mind. He was a local boy who made a name for himself in the world of scholarship and was awarded a Nobel Prize. I hope our students are inspired by his precedent, but not his benighted and constricted libertarian worldview. Fortunately I'm not tasked to talk about him. (Nancy MacLean did that, expertly.) My topic, mental health and happiness, is far more compelling.

So how to begin?

Garrison Keillor's opening lines in his New Year's dispatch from a cruise ship might work.
These elderly folks [on his cruise] were carelessly frittering away their children’s inheritance, money that might’ve put a young person through Malarkey State for a degree in communications and a career as an influencer, but it was sweet to see the affection between the lengthily married, the exchange of glances, holding hands, the impulsive kiss. To stay in love, that’s a good way to maintain compos mentis…
Many kids these days, I observe, are avowedly angst-ridden and seemingly not much in love with life. But that's the bedrock of every other form of vital human connection. I made that point the last time I spoke to the Honors College in August '22, talking about Aristotle on friendship. 

It was the main message in last semester's Philosophy of Happiness course too, especially from The Good Life: Lessons from the World's Longest Scientific Study of Happiness

And it's central in John Kaag's Sick Souls, Healthy Minds: How William James Can Save Your Life.

Health and happiness are inseparable. Mental health depends on love, connection, personal investment in a world, community, relationships, friendships, social support, ...

That's what I'll plan to say in April.

No comments:

Post a Comment