Delight Springs

Tuesday, January 16, 2024

Winter as spiritual practice

"Take long walks in stormy weather or through deep snows in the fields and woods, if you would keep your spirits up. Deal with brute nature. Be cold and hungry and weary." HDT, via Maria Popova 
Did that yesterday, a long solo walk sans my usual canine cohort. They're not built for frigid arctic air, and little Pita is not built for deep drifts. 

So my spirits sagged a bit at first, missing my pals. But there is indeed something elevating about the uncanny quiet of a landscape locked down by uncustomary extreme weather.  We can go entire winters in middle Tennessee without as much snowfall as surprised us yesterday. It was still snowing at 2 pm but the storm had lessened considerably. 

I got to start breaking in my new Chocoruas, the Timberland boots named for WJ's favorite lake and mountain. They made a satisfying crunch in the powder, the only sound around. The streets were empty, save a sledder or two. All was calm, all was bright. I was toasty in my rarely-worn old parka.

Was it a spiritual experience? By my definition of the word, rooted in the etymology of respiration and inspiration, it was. It redeemed the forced disruption of routine that I usually find disorienting. And it sharpened the contrast of indoor to outdoor life, making the simple return to hearth and home itself an experience to savor.

This was supposed to be Opening Day at school, a spiritual experience of another sort. I look forward to it Thursday. But today, I look forward to another long winter walk.

No comments:

Post a Comment