Delight Springs

Friday, January 26, 2024

Intense loyalty, without footnotes

More of my mentor's imitable qualities:
"I have an intense loyalty to people near to me, which shows itself in my readiness to go to great lengths to promote their good. This attitude defines my relation to friends, students, and family.

I also believe that although some things matter intensely, many of the things that upset people are of little significance. This conviction has enabled me to live without condemning much and without the desire to run other people's lives. The connected respect for autonomy has been the source of great happiness for me; I attribute my deeply satisfying relations to my children to mutual acceptance built on caring and on love. Love and respect have also served as the foundation of the extraordinary relationship my wife and I enjoy, sharing all the tasks and pleasures of life, and reflecting and writing together on the problems of education.

In graduate school, we are taught to write with footnotes, evoking authority for all questionable claims. Philosophers, like other human beings, find it consoling to run with the crowd and embrace few views that are out of favor. Knowing the fickleness of public opinion, I could never make myself believe that the number of people holding a position has anything to do with its truth. Accordingly, I have learned to write without footnotes, and, when it seemed appropriate, I have embraced wildly unpopular, though not intrinsically outrageous, ideas."

Stoic Pragmatism by John Lachs

No comments:

Post a Comment